From the moment of its launch last summer, the Reels tab on Instagram has been wildly popular. Instagram Reels is the tool where you can go wild in terms of creativity. But what makes this position so snackable, creative, and relevant for your organization, what are the differences with TikTok, and with which tips can you best get started?
Instagram Reels is booming because the videos are accessible and easy to make. And you can play with it nicely. And it’s not just a fun way for you to share this snackable content with the world. This is also a very nice way for brands to show what they do or to show their products.
Instagram Reels for Dummies
Maybe you think: Instagram Reels? Never heard of or participated in anything. That is of course possible and is not bad at all. It is also quite ‘hidden’ in the app itself.
We will explain the concept and who knows, you might be itching to make your first Reel. With Instagram Reels, you make a short video of 15 or 30 seconds, after which you edit your video in the app itself.
Ideal, because you don’t have to switch between different apps. You can choose to create a new video or use an existing video from your own camera roll.
Then you add catchy effects, text, and music. Satisfied? Upload the Reel to your profile so that it appears on your feed or upload it in your stories. Simple as that.
Once you’ve uploaded a reel, an additional tab will appear on your profile. The Reels icon now appears between your own feed, IGTV, and content you have been tagged in.
The great thing about making Reels is that you can put your own creativity into them. The filming is a piece of cake, you can easily do the edit yourself and voilà, your self-produced Reel is a fact.
And that is exactly the goal that Instagram has with it: fast, easy, and snackable. Sharing videos with the world has never been easier. More and more brands and companies are now able to find the Reels icon on. But more on that later.
This is how you become an Instagram Reels king or queen!
Now that you know the basics of the Reels trade, the question remains of how you can best implement this in terms of creativity and what tips there are to share your Reel with as many people as possible. We are happy to help you with the following tips:
- Provide variety in your content.
- Divide your Reel into smaller chunks instead of recording one long video. Your Reel looks too much like a short IGTV otherwise.
- Use Reels rubrics and create different storylines from your Reels. Give tips, show your products or take a look behind the scenes.
- Use the right effects. Play with speed, such as slomo and speed.
- Do you want more reach? Use hashtags! Choose the correct cover photo. You can choose this before uploading your Reel. With a catchy cover you stand out better and attract the attention of your target group.
- Finally: share your Reel on your Feed. This way your followers will also see it via that route and not only in the Reels tab.
Frequently Asked Questions
It may of course be the case that after testing with Instagram Reels you still run into certain things. To help you further, we explain a number of questions below with suitable solutions.
1. Can we Advertising with Reels, is that possible?
Hell yes! You can advertise with your Reel in the Feed, in Stories and in the Explore tab. This makes Reels a very nice part of Instagram to share your made Reel with as many people as possible. And not unimportantly: with the people you want to reach.
2. How do you share your Reel on your feed?
You do this right before you publish your Reel. All you have to do is check the box ‘Also share in overview’.
3. Can I influence Reel’s algorithm?
Hell yes. You can do this by using hashtags and always uploading your Reel on your timeline. This gives your Reel reach because it is shown to your own followers. And that in turn sends a positive signal to the algorithm.
Instagram Reels and TikTok: What’s the Difference?
Let’s face it: Instagram Reels is quite similar to the TikTok app. Instagram is clearly competing with this platform here. But why?
Currently, Instagram has about 5.6 million users in the Netherlands. So much of our country regularly scrolls through his or her timeline and feed.
However, the growth of the app is leveling off. And with competitors lurking, Instagram must continue to innovate. This resulted in the uploading of videos being given a new look and Instagram Reels was born.
When you look at the differences between TikTok and Reels, the following points are the most striking:
- TikTok is a separate social media platform, Reels is in Instagram.
- Reels should be looked up on your profile page under a separate ‘tab’, just like with IGTV videos. You will only see the reels on your timeline or stories if the user chooses to share them there.
- Hashtags play a less important role with Reels than with TikTok movies. Hashtags are actually used in TikTok films to increase the reach.
- You already have an audience on Instagram: your current followers. At TikTok you start all over again.
- TikTok has more options for the length of your videos.
- TikTok has more editing and post-editing options.
- With Instagram Reels you can only upload videos from your existing camera roll. At TikTok you can add photos as well as videos.
What is your favorite: Reels or TikTok?
Your brand or company in the picture
We mentioned it before: Instagram Reels is also hot and happening for companies or for your brand. A lot is happening online and very fast. Go along with this! Keep renewing to excite your followers.
Have you built an active community on Instagram with your brand? Perfect, the reels you place are immediately visible to a large audience.
But… How do you go about that? And preferably successful, of course? It doesn’t have to be difficult. Perfection does not exist with Instagram Reels, but make sure the videos are fine-tuned.
Be creative, original and have guts. Stand out, use humor and show recognisability. And above all: keep experimenting. Look for what works and what appeals to the target group you want to reach.
In short: show what you have to offer with Instagram Reels. Put your brand in the spotlight in an accessible way and make sure you are present. Are you getting started? Let us know what your next Instagram Reels will be!